||In this year basic information and biological data will be collected on artificial reefs (ARs) in waters off Penhu islands. The AR sites to be studied include Suo-Gang, Xiang-Lu Islet, Peng-Nan, Ding-Gou Islet, Nei-An North, Wang-An and Qi-Mei Southeast, and 3 to-be-decided new sites in waters off Taiwan. A variety of equipments, including a side-scanner, an ADCP (Acoustic Doppler Current Profiler), water-resistant cameras, etc., are used in the survey to obtain high quality data. The fulfillment of this project would be expected to bring about:
1) an understanding of the present status of marine environmental factors such as water depth, underwater topography, substratum types, the distance between AR and natural reefs, AR dispersion, and biomass of the inhabiting biota for each AR site.
2) recommendations on whether cast-net removal should be made to each specific AR site based on the data collected.
3) recommendations on whether each of the above specific AR site should be maintained or terminated based on the present status of the ARs.
4) evaluations on the effectiveness of these AR sites from the economical, marine ecological and social points of view. The findings are expected to be involved in the decision-making for the future AR management.
5) evaluations on the feasibility of new-site establishment.
6) an overall review of the current status of the artificial reef program.